Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Did I do the right thing after I ran over a deer tonight?

I was driving home tonight with a friend, going normal speed and a baby deer ran out in front of me. There were not many cars on the highway so perhaps I could have swerved, but all I did was scream and brake as hard as I could-- but I still killed it. It thudded into the car and dragged for a bit, and when we finally stopped, it rolled a ways and then was not moving at all. The car was damaged a bit (I am paying for the damages to my friend's car) but I cannot get the experience out of my head and heart.


The deer was clearly dead and not obstructing traffic, so we just drove home. Did I do the right thing? Should I make any phone calls?Did I do the right thing after I ran over a deer tonight?
Things like that, have happened to me too, I love animals, as obviously you do too, and you feel so bad. It was'nt your fault, animals do this all of the time, you did your best to avoid it, If you swerved, you may have lost control of your car (Deer kill many people a year in cars). Just call the local police (you did NOT commit a crime) and report it so that the right people can clean it up, and take it off the road. Animals sometimes just jump out into the road for no reason, You did'nt mean to do it, let it go, it takes up too much ';REAL ESTATE'; in your head.Did I do the right thing after I ran over a deer tonight?
Swerving is not smart. Braking was the best, right thing to do.


It was an accident.
call your conscience, ask it what you should do, you will find peace...





as for the deer, there was nothing you could do, i hope
You know its not your fault at all(If whatever u have written is true).I think U should talk to ur family about this and maybe they can guide you or something like that.The inportant thing is to talk to someone about this incident.
The only thing you could have done was call the insurace company, they probabbly would pay for the damages, as for reporting the dead deer, you do not do that.
The only thing you can do is call your local animal control center (which is part of the department of public health) in case they want to dispose of the deer properly.
In the state of TN: Road kill is yours to keep if you want it.....


I guess you did the right thing. I perhaps would have called the insurance company to inquire about the best way to take care of the damage. If the damage is just cosmetic I guess it would be OK to just fix it yourself; but if there was any structural damage your friends car may depreciate faster if she ever tries to trade the car in and they find out with out there was front end damage with out any insurance report. That happened to me with hail damage. Only had a few spots unfixed and they discovered where the other 100+ spots had been and asked for an insurance report and I had none.
i think the police have better things to do.





just making sure its at the side of the road out of oncoming traffics way is good enough
Consider this it was a baby and not the mother. My rule of thumb with deer is if you can't safely stop or avoid just keep moving and don't slow down.
yeah u did there was nothin u could do it was dead

No comments:

Post a Comment