Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Does anyone keep the liver from their deer?

If so, how do you do it, and how do you cook it?Does anyone keep the liver from their deer?
Hey buddy ...... I don't know about deer, but I imagine it's the same as caribou liver basically. I think it can be prepared in an assorted of ways, but probably the best is the same way one would prepare calf's or beef liver. It can be thinly sliced and then dipped in an egg and milk mixture. Then it is dipped in flour. Then, it is re-dipped in the egg and milk mixture and then re-dipped in the flour and perhaps even a light coating of bread crumbs. Then you would fry it in butter and a touch of oil so that the butter doesn't burn. That's about it. I'll be seeing some northern people from the Northwest Territories in the next few days. I'll ask and if I hear anything new about this subject I'll let you know directly to your e-mail address. I already have it as you know. Later ...................... JimmyDoes anyone keep the liver from their deer?
JD's answer about CWD is incorrect. Humans seem to be naturally resistant - as are domestic livestock - and there have been zero cases of transmission to humans. See www.cwd-info.org for lots of info about the disease. Oh, and deer liver is delicious!

Report Abuse



I keep the liver and heart from every deer I harvest. My grandfather absolutely loves the fresh stuff, even though it's not my favorite meal!
Here is the way I cook venison liver.





**********FRIED VENISON LIVER





1 deer liver, sliced thinly


1 c. flour, seasoned with salt and pepper


2 lg. onions, sliced


Cooking oil





Place liver in freezer for 1 hour to make it easier for slicing. Using a thin bladed knife cut slices thinly as possible. Place the seasoned flour on a large piece of waxed paper. Heat one thick cup cooking oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and fry for about five minutes.


Place onions to one edge of pan. Coat each piece of liver with seasoned flour and fry for about four minutes (two minutes to each side). Don't over cook or liver will be touch. As each batch is cooked transfer it to pre-heated oven and keep warm. When all is cooked serve with onions on heated platter.





or I save it for catfish bait.
I've been avoiding internal organs, and I debone the entire beast since CWD moved into our area. It's too much a risk to not take precaution. In areas where CWD hasn't reached yet you can keep the organs.. You can slice the liver and cook with onions? Either Pan braise, or bake on BBQ..
Deer liver is quite good to eat. I just fix it like I would any liver from the store. I like mine fried with onions. I also save the heart. To cook it, just cut off the top and wash it out. Then make a stuffing, boxed stuffing works great, and fill the heart with stuffing. Spread the rest of the stuffing in the pan around the heart and bake it. It is small but enough for one or two people. That's about all that I eat from what some call ';the gut pile';. Both the heart and the liver are just too tasty to waste.
NOT really a good idea to eat any Deer internal organs . There is a disease called CWD- Chronic Wasting Disease that is blood borne illness being found in Deer all over the United States. It is fatal to humans so many State Governments, a Game Biologists are trying to keep track of the pattern of this illness to determine risk. It's just not worth taking the chance......
yes alot of people keep the liver . i dont cause i dont like liver but my dad always made the same way you make liver and onions we always caried a zipploc bag with us for when you gut the deer and just put it in the bag
Yes we do and in Alaska you must keep it. Not throw it away. But the liver is very good eating, makes some of the finest chili you ever tasted.


This is what I do. After cutting the lobes apart to make them easier to handle I start cutting one side up at a time. One side will be diced into little half inch cubes and set in cold water to soak.


The other side will be cut into long strips for frying with bacon grease and flour.


Back to the cubes. After they set for a while pour off the water. This gets rid of the blood and other juices. I soak them about three times and pour off the water each time. Then put the cubes into a large pan/kettle and fill it with water, a half cup of chili powder, a quarter cup of garlic salt and a couple of onions diced up about a half inch square, and then with a medium heat slowly cook them, not a boil but a slow simmer, is just right. About half way through this I put in a 2 or 3 cans of chili beans. It should take about 3 to 4 hours for a large pot of this to cook and flavor itself just right. This size should feed about a half a dozen hunters.


Enjoy


Sarge

No comments:

Post a Comment