Friday, February 12, 2010

My mother was trying to avoid collision with a deer and hit a few trees. Damage is over $5000?

Is deer avoidance is covered under collision or comprehensive? We have Erie insurance, and they indicating that my policy will go up by 30%. Any info will be helpfull.My mother was trying to avoid collision with a deer and hit a few trees. Damage is over $5000?
Collision. You have to actually HIT the deer in order for it to be comp. I tell people, ';don't swerve to avoid an animal'; (except a moose - collision with a moose can kill you). I tell them that ALL THE TIME. You need deer hair on the car, at the point of impact, for it to be covered under comp.





I do love Erie. When I lived in their territory, both my house and car insurance was with them. They have super low rates. That's why one claim HURTS so much.My mother was trying to avoid collision with a deer and hit a few trees. Damage is over $5000?
Thats a very strange answer- hitting deer kills people all the time... the state I live in leads the US in deaths from Deer collisions...

Report Abuse



I've never seen ins. coverage for ';Deer Avoidance';, but I can almost assure you that a collision with the deer may have resulted in the same damage, or worse.


Since deer have long legs, they generally ';fly'; over the hood through the windshield. This can result in serious bodily injury.





I knew one case, the driver was paralyzed for life.





Insurance premiums would go up, even if she had hit the deer.


Sucks, but nothing we can do.





I've never had an ins. claim after near a million miles. Had an ins. co. cancel me once. I raised hell with the agent. He told me that they figured ';I was due';.
No. The deer is not responsible for its actions, but your mother is responsible for her actions. Sorry, it's unfortunate. Should have hit the deer, probably would have been less damage.
Okay, your mom had an accident, I do hope she is okay. As for your insurance company raising your rates. The question I have is ';Why?'; or better yet ';Under what conditions do they find the need?';. Is this the only claim against your insurance in the past couple of years? Have you or your mother had any traffic violations? Have you recently moved to a different area? Are you or your mother listed as a part-time driver on this particular car? Is your mother listed as a driver on this car? Lots of questions, get them to answer why they feel the need to raise rates.
It should be covered under collision. Why? Because she hit some trees, which are stationary items. If she hit the deer, I think it would have been under Comprehensive. Sorry, but you are going to have to deal with the higher rates. Otherwise, whenever anyone hit something stationary, they would claim that they were trying to avoid hitting an animal.
If you have collision coverage it will be covered, less your deductible. Do keep in mind that if the vehicle is worth less than the cost of repairs, they do have the right to give you only market value, again less your deductible, and 'buy' your vehicle from you by totaling it.





As to whether or not your insurance will increase as a result of the claim, there is no way of knowing until renewal time comes. If it does that might be a good time to search for a different company.
if she has full coverage on it or collision it will be covered,but just liability it wont be covered on,and it probably will go up for a while it usually does when something like this happens,good luck with it.
  • Siam Esteemed Product Co Ltd
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment