Friday, February 12, 2010

Did I do the right thing after I ran over a deer tonight?

I was driving home tonight with a friend, going normal speed and a baby deer ran out in front of me. There were not many cars on the highway so perhaps I could have swerved, but all I did was scream and brake as hard as I could-- but I still killed it. It thudded into the car and dragged for a bit, and when we finally stopped, it rolled a ways and then was not moving at all. The car was damaged a bit (I am paying for the damages to my friend's car) but I cannot get the experience out of my head and heart.


The deer was clearly dead and not obstructing traffic, so we just drove home. Did I do the right thing? Should I make any phone calls?Did I do the right thing after I ran over a deer tonight?
From a driving/safety perspective you did a splendid job holding the car's position on the road. Many driver's swerve and lose control/roll their vehicle when trying to avoid killing an animal, unfortunately ending up dead themselves.





Replaying the incident and being unable to get away from the frightening images is a typical response to a traumatic event. Do talk about what you saw, heard %26amp; are experiencing to people. Or check out ';critical incidence stress debriefing'; on the web. There are good sites that outline the process. If you find the images don't fade in a few weeks, consider a few appointments with a tauma counsellor.





Re: phone calls to be made. Don't know your country's legal requirements, Check with the spca for directions.





You did a fine job keeping yourself and your passenger safe. Well done!Did I do the right thing after I ran over a deer tonight?
no you should chick on that poor deer
You did the right thing. I love deer and animals in the wild but there are so many deer out there. They are becoming overpopulated. That's why so many of them get run over. You did all you could do at that particular moment. It's always easy for us to look back and say what we could have done but at the time our minds just don't always think of the best thing. You did fine. I hope you will be able to forget abou the experience soon.
There is nothing else you could have done. You sound level headed, I am sorry for your experience.
i think there was nothing left to do. it would have died instantly and not left in pain. I would have done the same
yes, you should, its clearly not your fault, so don't beat yourself up for it and its good that you tooe care of your damages to your friends car, i hope you checked the deer properly, cuz i have a feeling you we're too shocked to actually touch it, make calls to an animal association, don't just leave it on the road to rot, good luck
you could have phoned the forest department,if u were to be a honest person.otherwise its clear or others may seem to think that u ran from the scene to avoid some police business.
There is nothing else you could have done! You didnt run over it on purpose, and that was the fate, nothing could be done about it or to change what happened. So try to put it behind you.
Yeah, call whoever is in charge of the roads.





The city or whatever.
I am disgusted that you wasted the meat. why didnt you bring the carcass home? the fawns are always more tender than the adults. such a shame..
you did the right thing... there are not too many people to call once the deer is dead...believe me. it happens all the time and there is nothing you could've done. except maybe stop quicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment